[Blindmath] Mathjax and screen readers

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu Aug 7 01:29:02 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to help sort out the presentation of documents created using markdown. The equations get rendered using mathjax.

When I open the resulting html files using Firefox, jaws does not read any of the equations but the sighted can see them. The equations all use a separate line according to JAWS, but the fact that they are in-line expressions is retained for the visually dependent.
When the same file is opened using internet explorer, the equations are expressed in some source code and read by JAWS (OK for me) but the sighted person also sees the source code not the desired Greek. The source code was the exact LaTeX I typed out with an extra \( and \) on the ends.

Can anyone tell me what I should be hearing and what the sighted should be seeing at the same time. If the settings need to be changed somehow to improve things then please let me know also.

The boring details:
IE v9, Firefox v31.
Jaws 14 and Windows 7 (32 bit)
MathPlayer installed.