[Blindmath] StatsPortal and accessible material/eBook guidance ...

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Aug 26 00:18:50 UTC 2014

Hello,

On my list of things to do is the resurrection of a process that used to work very well for me. I would take all my tex files and process them into the pdf needed for upload to the online teaching environment we use to give to the sighted students I teach, and also process my documents into html/xml for myself and other blind readers (if there were any interested.)

This worked well under miktex2.8, but broke once I moved to 2.9 (under duress) once 2.8 was no longer supported.

I did get some hints as to why my own setup fell over and sorry, I haven't addressed it as it isn't top of mind to date.

The files were processed by using tex4ht instead of the standard latex processing. All equations could be read using a screen reader from that point.

My current interest is in what pandoc can do for us. Theoretically, pandoc should be able to take a tex file and process it into markdown that can then be processed into html or MS Word. The equations in the html would be rendered using MathJax and are at least a little readable, but I haven't yet checked out what the MS word equations are like.

As an experienced Latex user, I read plenty of documents in source code. I've never been satisfied with  way of getting information. In the next few weeks I have to examine a PhD thesis written in latex. I've done this before and it's often painful. Last time, I saw whole sentences that the sighted examiners didn't as they'd been commented out. I was left thinking that authors shouldn't let such material out of their computers.

Good luck,
Jonathan