[Blindmath] Math for everyday use

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-blindmath at pcdesk.net
Mon Dec 8 19:18:11 UTC 2014

I think Bente already answered the question pretty well from a direct
answer point of view, but let me share an experience with you which
provides another answer. Feel free to share this experience with your
student.

All through middle school and high school, I was basically a bad
student. I didn't like studying, and I especially didn't like doing
homework. I was more interested in studying things I did find of
interest, such as girls and computers. (Yes I know those two aren't
often seen paired, but I digress) I knew grades mattered, and I even
believed people when they told me that later in life I'd be sorry I
approached school the way I did. Unfortunately, I didn't care much.

That came back to haunt me in college. I was interested in a degree in
Computer Science, which required a lot of mathematics. Unfortunately, I
hadn't built the mathematical foundation properly. I ended up having to
learning group for at least one of the courses.

I have completed several more advanced math courses now, including some
in more abstract areas. I would not call myself a math expert, however.
I've always felt my math is a bit more shaky than it could have been
had I learned it when I was younger. Yes, I can do math now. I even use
my math skills for day to day things for work sometimes, and for my
graduate level studies. I'm not nearly as confident in my mathematical
abilities as a person at my level should be, however, and I feel this is
a direct result of how I behaved in middle and high school.

Hope this helps

Joe