[Blindmath] Pascal's Triangle in Braille?

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Thu Jul 31 18:44:05 UTC 2014

If I remember the triangle correctly, it looks somewhat like this (ignore centering in this version, it's not quite correct):
                   1
                1  2  1
             1  3  3  1
          1  4  6  4  1
         1  5 10 10 5 1

... etc.
I think it's easier to set this up on a brailler or a braille editor than to try to get a braille translator/formatter to do the right thing.
My advice would include:  reproduce only the second half of each row (perhaps including the number before the center line to show that it is repeated).
Assign the widest columns to the longest number you are going to be able to accommodate, and allow the width of your columns to get narrower as you approach the right end of a line.
Omit number signs, with the possible exception of the first 2 or 3 rows.
Consider producing longer rows on facing pages.
I don't know how many rows you could get this way, but think it would approach 13.  It could certainly illustrate the pattern of the numbers.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.