[Blindmath] Math ML

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Sat Jun 7 22:56:44 UTC 2014

As Steve Nobel mentions, IE11 has an enterprise mode. Unfortunately, it
suffers from the same crash bug as is present in IE10. We filed a bug
report on it and were hopeful that the IE team would fix it as the
enterprise mode is a new feature. One or two months have gone by without
any promise of a fix, so I'm less hopeful that they will fix IE. It is
still listed as "active". You never know, but Microsoft will come through
with the fix...

A lot of you commented on the IE10 problem, and I thank you for that even
though Microsoft didn't do anything. It would probably help if you
commented on this one (including saying you can reproduce the problem). The
bug report is:
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/850586/crash-in-enterprise-mode-with-binary-behavior

If you are desperate, there is one way to make IE11 work with MathPlayer.
It's a pain, so you need to be desperate. If you load a page and type
"shift+f12", the developer toolbar will show up at the bottom of the
screen. On the left hand side there is a navigation bar -- I don't know how
you get there with the keyboard -- tabbing doesn't seem to stop there. Once
you click there (in the "F12" icon"), down arrow as far as you can go to
the "Emulation" pane  (I count 7 times, but more doesn't seem to matter).
Once there, hit tab and you will have selected "Document Mode". If you set
the mode to either 7 or 5, MathPlayer will work pretty well. Do this by
typing '7' -- don't use down arrow because that will pass through IE10 mode
and it will potentially crash. You need to do set the document mode every
time to you open a new window or tab. The developer tool remembers that you
were last at the emulation pane, so you only need F12, tab, type 5 or 7
after the first time.

Let me repeat: do this only if you are desperate as this is a real pain to
keep doing.

We are working on solution that works with IE, Firefox, and Word that I
showed at CSUN. I hope to announce its availability in the not too distant
future.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com

~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~