[Blindmath] Division of Polynomials

Jonathon Yaggie jyaggi2 at uic.edu
Mon May 5 16:37:52 UTC 2014

I have generally remained silent on this topic, but....

Division of polynomials is definitely used in advanced (abstract and
computational) algebra.   However, like many algorithms, polynomial
division   is done with computer algebra systems in all but very simple
cases.   Therefore, while I want to say learning and communicating the
algorithm for long division of polynomials is important, it is not this
specific algorithm which is important as much as the development of the
skills to cope, understand and communicate future algorithms of similar
style.

I doubt I completely understood the first time learned this algorithm,
because I relearned it in graduate school.  Realistically, no student can
learn everything thrown at them in a college math class.  Sometimes one
needs to pick and choose, what concepts and skills are worth the extra
time.  If you do not plan to go outside the realm of calculus/analysis,
polynomial division may never matter.

And I really like the Excel idea.  I hope maybe I will have some students
to try that with next fall.

Jon Yaggie
EYH Volunteer Coordinator
UIC Mathematics