[Blindmath] Introduction and need advice

Chela Robles via Blindmath blindmath at nfbnet.org
Tue May 20 23:38:51 UTC 2014

Hello my name is Chela Robles and I live in Concord, California. I'm
totally blind and use JAWS 15 latest build and a Focus 14 braille display.
I'm currently enrolled in the Administrative Assistance certificate
program at Loma Vista Adult Center also known as Mt. Diablo Adult
Education School. I'm the only totally blind person in this program and
am getting by very well, however I've come across a red light which
won't turn green for me at this point and this is where I'd like
direction from you guys.
My instructor added a basic mathematics module to the program yesterday
calling it "math Mondays," where she hands out packets for the students
to complete by the end of the week which is Thursday for us. They are in
the process of typing the problems out in MSWord 2010 so when I get the
packets on my hard drive, I'll use my brailler to figure out the
problems myself, however, here is where the snag comes in: the
instructor doesn't know how to read braille so now I'm wondering how I
can possibly put it in print for her since I don't have anyone to do
innerlining and no one again knows braille except I. So, is there some
kind of software that will work with JAWS 15 to convert to print or
rather to do the regular math problems pre-algebra including fractions
and percentages and decimals adding subtracting and multiplication and
division? If my question does not make any sense, let me know. I'm
trying to make it print-accessible and keep the braille for myself. See,
I have to work out problems not use electronic calculators and excel.
Thanks for your advice.
Cordially,
Chela Robles

Teachers have a sacred task:
It is to give children the skills to understand the world and an expectation that the world is a trustworthy place; that it is full of light, and love, and music and that each student deserves--and will have--their own place in it and the chance to play their own song.
And, as much of these expectations are transmitted non-verbally—and in Chela’s case--out of sight…it is the voice and touch of a Teacher that sheds light on what the world can be.
Academics—and no one will ever change my mind on this—take a distant second place. —Dr. Bil Hawkins
--
Chela Robles a Nationally Certified person in Customer Service, certified by the National Retail Federation Foundation (NRF): http://www.nrffoundation.com/
E-mail: cdrobles693 at gmail.com
Windows Live Messenger: cdrobles693 at hotmail.com