[Blindmath] [Blind math] Spatial Abilities

Ken Perry via Blindmath blindmath at nfbnet.org
Fri May 30 12:03:29 UTC 2014

I am not sure this is a blind thing.  When I was sighted back in the day we
used paper bags at the grocery.  I used to train baggers.  I would say it
was almost a 50 50 shot that the people I trained could look at what was on
the counter and be able to quickly and easily pack groceries in the least
amount of bags, taking into account shape, and type of groceries.  TI have
found over the years that the same people that couldn't pack a paper bag
correctly also couldn't look at a pile of luggage and figure out how to fit
it in the trunk without trying 15 times.  Now that I am blind and have been
for the last 20 years I haven't found it any harder.  I do have my previous
sighted experience and training but I have met as many blind people that
understand special areas as well as me.  As I have met that are totally
unable to walk through a building that they have worked in for over 2
years.  So in my experience and just in my humble opinion I think it has
more to do with how your experiences growing up allowed you to learn and
maybe how your brain is genetically wired than anything to do with site.

It would be interesting to do a study with the old square paper bags and a
table full of stuff.  To see how different blind people could look over a
table of objects and be able to pack them verses a  group of sighted folks.

Ken