[Blindmath] Math Type Translation Troubles

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Wed Nov 5 00:07:00 UTC 2014

Sarah, in addition to the information Caryn provided, this should be of some help...

First, I need to stress that in MathType's Convert Equations macro, which DBT uses, there is a bug in MathType 6.9, so it is critical that you upgrade to MathType 6.9a. You don't need a new product key, and it's a free upgrade, but you'll see problems until you upgrade.

I processed the document with MathType 6.9a, and it gave me this information at the end: Converted 488 MathType objects, 10 MS Word "field equations", and 2 Word 2007 (OMML) equations. I wouldn't expect much trouble with the 488 MathType objects, but I still proof-scanned the document for equations that weren't converted. Here's what I found (page references are to the original document, without converted equations): (Except for the equations that have become pictures, the equations were able to convert with the Convert Equations command, not Toggle TeX. Sometimes I had to run the command 2-3 times to get it to correct, but they all did.)

1. Pg 5, beneath the paragraph named "Multiple cash flows", there is an expression consisting of 3 fractions. This expression has at some point been converted to an image. It is no longer a MathType object, and will need to be replaced with a MathType object before you proceed.

2. Pg 43, in Rule 1 there is an equation that did not convert.

3. Pg 44, there are 2 that didn't convert. One of these is in Rule 4 and the other in Rule 4.1.

4. Pg 53, there are 3 expressions in a table at the bottom of the page. All 3 of these are pictures and will need to be re-created as MathType objects.

5. Pg 62, Appendix. Two equations on this page didn't convert.

6. Pg 70, Example 2 Solution. Multi-line equation didn't convert.

7. Pg 72, "Take the variance of both sides:" equation didn't convert.

8. Pg 73, "The variance of this portfolio is:" equation didn't convert.

8. Pg 89, Equation following "To simplify..." didn't convert.

9. Pg 90, "Using equation 1..." equation didn't convert. Also equation following "Solving out B..."

10. Pg 91, Example, equation following "From the budget line..." didn't convert.

That's just under half the document, but the points are that 1) if the equation has become a picture, it's not going to convert and 2) some of the others (probably randomly) won't convert.

Hope that's of some help.

Bob