[Blindmath] Struggling Mathematics Student

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at mail.utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 17 03:34:37 UTC 2014

Hi Clayton,
I've been thinking about your predicament and wanted to chime in. you've had
some good suggestions already, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I'm a
current college student too, having taken both calculus and probability
courses. I'll comment on each concern raised in sequence.

"In College Algebra With Limits, the professor speeds through his lectures,
and even though I type out the equations he puts on the board, I can't keep
up with him."
It's hard when you're trying to get equations down, but raise your hand and
ask him to repeat what he's just said. This isn't a blindness issue
necessarily, it's a teaching issue. I'll bet there are 10 other students
who'd like him to slow down but feel too scared to ask. Be that person.
Everyone will benefit, especially yourself. If you don't get what's going
on, it's your right and your job to figure out how to receive that
information in a way you can understand. Can you record lectures? Try that;
for past lectures, see if another student (my school has a means to email
all one's classmates in a given course) has done so. Many students do,
whether or not they have the accommodation to.

"The note packets are inaccessible..."
What format are they in? What format would you prefer? Ask the professor how
they make them. If they're in LaTeX or Math Type/equation editor, ask for
the original copies. There are ways of translating these into Nemeth code or
other accessible formats. If you don't have the right software, I'd be happy
to translate them for you. It takes seconds a file. In many mainstream
environments, you have to ask for exactly what you want in order to make
progress.

"and while the disability department at my college is translating the
packets, it is almost too late in the semester."
Ask them for reader support to get you the material. See if a fellow student
would be willing to read them to you. Suggest the incentive of better grades
for them (they may not actually take the time to read it themselves and
would probably benefit) or buy them coffee. See if you can get insight into
the disability department's translation process. Can they send you bits of
the packets rather than the whole thing all at once? Are there faster ways
of translating?

" Additionally, the professor does not explain the steps he uses to solve
the problems, so my tutor has to do all of the work in  teaching me."
This isn't a blindness issue per se, but an issue of a poor teacher. Does
your instructor have office hours? It's well within your rights to say "sir,
I didn't follow your method for example 3 in lecture today. Could you please
break it down for me, or suggest other things I might do to follow it
better?" Don't be afraid to ask for clarification in class. Again, you're
not the only one who'd benefit. Having sight doesn't give your peers some
magical understanding of math.

"While I have aced my homework, I have failed both of my exams so far."
What about your assignments makes them "aceable"? How have you done so well?
The answers to these will help you petition your instructor. Again, at an
office hour, it's well within your rights to say "I'm doing really well in
my assignments because I [insert reason]. Can we come up with a plan
together to try to bring those same successes to my exams as well?"

" The first exam was inaccessible, and the reader couldn't even read the
exam properly to me to even make sense of it."
Hang on ... and you still wrote the exam? Why? In such a circumstance you
have the right, and the obligation to refuse to write it until you and your
reader can make sense of it. If it's a case of a reader being unfamiliar
with a certain subject area, you need to demand a reader who is familiar
with that subject. It's also much easier to get a problem solved if you
refuse to write an exam, rather than writing it and then raising concerns.
The latter gives the false impression that you're dodging the blame for a
poor mark. Obviously you're not, but a perception may exist. At this point,
all you can do is work with your disability department to have it in your
official accommodations that someone familiar with math must be your reader
for future tests. I might be wrong about this, so follow up.

" The second exam, which I took yesterday, covered material not even on the
review sheet."
As others have said, this is not an accommodation issue. However, it is your
right, as any student has, to ask the instructor for clarification. "I
noticed that some topics on the exam weren't covered on the review sheet. In
future, how can I better prepare for an exam?" How much is each exam worth?
Can you petition for reweighting so that more emphasis is placed on the
final, by which time you'll be better prepared? Or, as others have
suggested, perhaps withdrawing or getting an incomplete would be a good
idea. It's not that you can't take these courses, but you and the school
have to be prepared.

"In Statistics, the professor was great in trying to get me accessible
notes, but fell short when formulas were concerned."
Again, what do you mean by "accessible" in this case? And at the risk of
sounding crass, given that formulae are the most important part of math in
many circumstances, the ball was dropped almost completely. If the
instructor was willing to go so far for these notes, asking him/her to go a
bit further won't hurt. Again, see how they make their notes. Ask them to
read them to you, or find a graduate student or your tutor to help. Keep
lines of communication open so that you can be immediately aware if things
aren't going to plan. Ideally this should start when classes do, but the
semester isn't over yet, so capitalize on the time you have left.

" I still do not know how to compute the standard error, margin of error,
confidence intervals, and finding probabilities between z scores or areas. I
am at a loss of what to do at this point."
Simply ask. "I know it's late in the term but I don't know how to do these
calculations and I need to learn them." Do you have the same tutor? Get them
to help. Go to instructor office hours. Demand your education, but do so in
a way that gives concrete methods: "you need to read this to me" or "I need
this in Braille/Math Type/Lean math/LaTeX". People can hear the broad term
of "accessibility" and freak out. Break it down for them so they don't have
the excuse to say that you didn't make yourself clear. YouTube and iTunesU
are great resources. So is Wikipedia. Form a study group with peers. These
calculations are not terrible if memory serves, so it won't take long for
you to get the hang of them.

" Trying to explain accessibility with formulas has been a nightmare,
especially with my College Algebra With Limits professor, who has adamantly
refused to translate the equations into accessible form because that
requires too much work for him, according to his statement."
What have you asked for? Have you been specific? If so, and he's still
refusing you, go to your accessibility department. Their job is to go to bat
for you when professors refuse accommodations. If he won't listen to you,
you might have better luck with them. You talk about a statement; have you
spoken to him in person? It's often harder for people to blow you off if
they have to look you in the face while doing it. Keep your cool, ask for
what you need, and be willing to (assertively rather than  aggressively)
defend your reasoning and your rights to equal access. Be willing to make
concessions only if you can live with the outcomes.

I realize this is tough: you've come off of two bad tests and have too
unreasonably difficult courses. But you still have to be your own advocate
in many ways and be specific about what you need and how you intend to get
it. College is an awesome and valuable experience; if nothing else, you'll
come out of it a more self-aware and self-advocating individual.

Keep us posted on your progress. We're here to support you in any way we
can.

Sarah