[Blindmath] using math on the apex

sabra1023 sabra1023 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 21:58:58 UTC 2014

Also, computer Braille is a lot less awkward to read. Another thing is that the apex is getting very out of date. It can't do a lot for what you pay for it, and it seems like it would be much cheaper and more efficient to use a braille display paired with a tablet or laptop. I currently have an apex, but once it has reached the end of it's life, I will also be using a braille display. I feel that it is very limited and very unstable,. Sighted people wouldn't except technology at such a high price that is as limited and as unstable as the Apex, and I don't understand why blind people do. Also, I think a markup language does have its place because it can arrange Matt spatially the way sighted people like to see it while still giving it to blind people the way they like to read it, but you will be using a computer to do this, so even though you might be doing some extra steps, you will still essentially be doing math and computer braille. Now that I understand the apex is new method of printing things out, I'm not going to use it because I don't want my math to look like that. I chose the apex because I was anxious about using a braille display, The more I think about it, the more it makes sense though. The display would have a braille keyboard and I could still type in contracted braille, but I could browse songs on iTunes, use various math programs, recover files, and do lots of other things I could never do with the apex while still having access to the braille input and output that I need. And I get this all for a cheaper price. If you got a top-of-the-line laptop or tablet, a top-of-the-line braille display, and a pricey screen reader like JAWS  for windows, it would still be cheaper than the apex and it would do more. If you got a Mac or used NVDA, it would be even cheaper. You could use your display in conjunction with programs like math tracks and Excel to have a much more productive and powerful experience. I wish I hadn't been so attached to the apex and that I had chosen a braille display, but I will in the future.