[Blindmath] using math on the apex

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Sep 7 00:33:39 UTC 2014

Hi Amanda,

If you are going to get lots of MS Word documents with mathematical stuff in it, why not either invest in a  copy of MathType for yourself or ask your staff to do the following for you.

If you open a  document (even with equations created using the basic equation editor) on a machine with MathType, you will be able to convert all the equations into their LaTeX equivalent in a matter of seconds. Highlight all (Ctrl+A) and then toggle the equations using Alt+\

You can do this in reverse to create the documents yourself if you chose to. I occasionally have to interact with MS Word users for document preparation, especially for such things as exams because the central university systems can't handle LaTeX. I also mark assignments this way. I go back and forth from TeX to MathType regularly. It is possible to save these files with the MathType exposed in TeX for later consumption.

Personally, if I were a student I would invest in my own copy of MathType as I want independence. I can then make use of the LEAN editing tool being worked on by John Gardner which is free to individual blind users. This tool is also braille friendly.

Jonathan