[Blindmath] java

Smith, Andrew smitha3 at students.rowan.edu
Thu Sep 18 16:14:24 UTC 2014

I've used everything from Notepad (on Windows) to Eclipse
(cross-platform) to TextEdit (on OS X) to write Java code for my
courses.  I'm a sophomore now, so most of what we've been doing is
console-based.  Any intro course would almost certainly be
console-based, which any screen reader shouldn't have any trouble
dealing with.

Java GUIs are just a pain, period.  A pain to write, a pain to
interpret (you need the Java Access Bridge on Windows), etc.  I'm
hoping that your course will be console-based; I see no reason why it
wouldn't be.

To compile, I usually open up a terminal or similar and run javac
Class.java; and to run the compiled code, java Class.  That seems to
be the most accessible way.

Best of luck!