[Blindmath] Using SPSS with JAWS?

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Sep 21 02:52:46 UTC 2014

Hello Justin,

Perhaps Vince Martin is the most qualified to answer your question, but I'll start things going. You might also look through the list archive for more.

There are a number of Jaws users happily using SPSS. Personally it's not my cup of tea, but  I do recommend people stick with SPSS if the others around them are using it. While your classmates are mouse clicking their way, you'll be tabbing around as you would in any other application. I do recommend you ensure you keep a copy of the commands employed for each part of the analysis. You may need to check that this is occurring as there is no guarantee that sighted users around you will be doing so.

You didn't explicitly say so but I assume you are going to use your own PC. If you weren't planning on doing so, then the IT team is going to have some fun getting it working for you.
Version 22 is supposed to be better than the version 21 I used for testing and evaluation. As part of the installation, the extra requirements for Jaws users will be taken care of. If you're using a lab computer, then these extras may not have been installed by the IT team.

Note that my comments are only relevant for Jaws users. My experiments with NVDA were far from successful.

Jonathan