[Blindmath] User perspective for Nemeth Braille Code

Lewicki, Maureen mlewicki at bcsd.neric.org
Mon Sep 22 10:46:19 UTC 2014

Hi, Rebecca, my students do not find it cumbersome to use the Nemith code. They learn the symbols as they need them, and use them. It is a beautiful writing  system, and I will be forever grateful for Dr. Nemith for developing it. Without the code they would have to do all math orally, a terrible alternative.

Perhaps the two cell symbols seem cumbersome to them because they are not yet coming automatically to their mind as they need them. If I write in print, there are many symbols which require multiple strokes of the pen. So I see no difference, really. If the symbols are not automatic, perhaps you can create some games to help them reinforce their memories.

Yes, brailling vertical is horrible. This I don't ask my students to do. I teach them to use an abacus. They end up solving problems as fast or faster then their pen and pencil peers.

One final thing. My students also consistently take notes from lectures faster than any of their sighted peers. The teacher ends up waiting for the sighted children to catch up.

Braille is fast, and efficient writing code, and the abacus is a wonderful tool as well, once mastered.  Best of luck!

Maureen Murphy Lewicki
Teacher of the Visually Impaired
Bethlehem Central Schools
700 Delaware Avenue