[Blindmath] how did your TVIs assist you?

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 1 18:49:31 UTC 2015

An interesting point again (sorry I've posted so much already) but I think
this is a good one - resilience and problem-solving. Anna's list of things
she has to do parallels mine and many other students. But we have to do it
all while still keeping up with material and somehow not falling into
depression and panic. It's a tall order. Learning those skills in a more
forgiving environment like high school is a good idea.
The points about exposure to a variety of things are excellent; I don't know
anyone (especially not myself) who knows what they want to do long-term, but
having as many options available is good.
Also TVIs and parents' apprehension about certain subject areas are an
issue. Sometimes classroom teachers, unsure of how to teach a blind student,
leave it to the TVI to do. The TVI is great, but if they're not a subject
expert on STEM anything, or foreign languages, home economics, mechanics,
computers or the like, then they and the students are at a disadvantage.
Discussing self-advocacy with the student would be helpful here, as would
stepping in if the students' efforts have failed.