[Blindmath] alternative methods of learning college algebra

Jeremy jeremy.richards7 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 15:14:37 UTC 2015

Though I can understand your perspective as a blind person, just about every
human being in the modern world carries a cell phone, and all cell phones
have calculators. Why trust or tax your memory when a device which can
compute far, far more than your brain will ever be able to calculate is
right in your pocket. Why walk across the country when a technological
advancement such as an airplane will take you to your destination in hours
with no effort on your part.

Those who know math well such as professors and opt to make calculations
using paper and pencil are probably doing so because they have long become
aware of the human brain's computational weaknesses and simply solve
problems in this way to eliminate the possibility of error.

The reason we as humans have seen an incredible jump in our technological
advancements is due to computers. If we didn't invent computing machines we
would be stuck using slide rulers and taking all day to compute relatively
simple calculations which would overall hinder technological advancements.

I can imagine making calculations in your head gets some "wows" from others,
but it is not reliable if your goal is accuracy. One will have to weigh the
pros and cons of learning and practicing mental math over the amount of time
necessary to learn such a skill.

If you want to see some amazing stuff, look up videos with Asians competing
against one another using the abacus. These guys are multiplying and
dividing 6-digit numbers in seconds, which would not normally be possible
without such an instrument.