[Blindmath] Math in your head (was: alternative methods of learning college algebra)

Sean Whalen nabs.president at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 01:23:36 UTC 2015

But math is not visual, people just generally elect to represent concepts
visually. A numerator above a denominator with a line separating them is
nothing more than a way to represent dividing the one by the other. I know
you know this. But what is really important is understanding the concepts. A
bell curve is a visual representation of the normal distribution. Yes, I can
tell you what the curve looks like because I needed to learn to communicate
with the vast majority of folks who use that representation, but I could
explain the distribution in terms that made no reference to the curve
commonly used to represent it. Not being able to rely on those visual
representations has, for me, actually allowed, and sometimes forced, me to
really grapple with underlying concepts.

Sean