[Blindmath] Math in your head

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 15 14:29:17 UTC 2015

A faculty member here at the UW sent me this link to an article from the web site of the American Mathematical Society. It talks about blind mathematicians relying more on memory and something like visualization than typical mathematicians. IMO, relying on your memory is not a bad thing. I think of it as a skill blind people develop similar to listening to synthesized speech at a really high rate. As for visualization, when people ask me how I do geometry in my head, I often call it feelization. It's not visual. But feelization is an inadequate term because it's just made up and I always have to explain it. English doesn't have a word for visualizing something without vision. Anyway, here's that link:

http://www.ams.org/journals/notices/200210/comm-morin.pdf