[Blindmath] Math in your head

Sean Tikkun jaquis at mac.com
Tue Dec 15 23:21:05 UTC 2015

Thanks and Sorry… I just realized the response I had given to Sean Whalen wasn’t to the group. So I’m posting it here since you said the word reference and cite… which I was holding back my instinct from. MSG below.

No worries Sean, I’m seldom offended and happy to share.  Even happier (oddly enough) to be wrong…  The APA references are at the bottom of my reply, in case you enjoy that sort of thing. If any of this is interesting to folks you may have contact with I am always looking for help connecting with participants. My dissertation will be replicating the working memory stuff and specifically targeting mathematics work.

As for the memory info. I’ll share two quotes form the article that I found interesting. I think the first one answers your questions about use of the visual cortex. Actually a neuropsychological article found atrophy in visual cortex growth among congenital blind individuals, but also increased growth and connectedness in the frontal and prefrontal regions. (Lepore, et al., 2010)

"One possibility is that individuals are born with similar levels of short-term memory capacity for the different sensory modalities but, depending on sensory experience, some memory modalities become more enhanced than others. Thus, most persons have good auditory and visual short-term memory, because they have the most experience with inputs in these modalities. Consequently, the working memory subsystems might be highly crossmodal with numerous interconnections, the strengths of which are altered through experience.” (Cohen, et. al, 2010)

"This result is consistent with a recent finding showing that working memory processes in both visual and tactile modalities share common neural networks [35], thus providing support for the notion of a working memory system independent of sensory modality.” (Cohen, et. al, 2010)

As for the reading speeds I turn to a paper presented by Phil Hatlen at Getting in Touch with Literacy conference. There are exceptional individuals to be sure, but his presentation quoted 100 words per minute as a reasonable expectations. Compared with the expectation of 250-300 words for sighted readers. (Hatlen, 2003)

Cohen, H., Voss, P., Lepore, F., & Scherzer, P. (2010). The nature of working memory for braille. PloS one, 5(5), e10833.
Hatlen, P. (2003). Impact of literacy on the expanded core curriculum. Paper presented at the Getting in Tough with Literacy Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Leporé, N., Voss, P., Lepore, F., Chou, Y. Y., Fortin, M., Gougoux, F., ... & Thompson, P. M. (2010). Brain structure changes visualized in early-and late-onset blind subjects. Neuroimage, 49(1), 134-140.

Your Friend,
Sean Tikkun
stikkun at niu.edu <mailto:stikkun at niu.edu>

Assistant Project Director