[Blindmath] various questions

Victorious dtvictorious at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 09:26:31 UTC 2015

Hi everyone

I'm a new member of this list. I'm currently taking courses in discrete math
and introductory linear algebra, and hope that I could find answers to some
questions.

1. What is the current state of MathML in regards to  math accessibility? As
far as I know, MathPlayer hasn't been updated to work with modern versions
of IE and doesn't work in firefox at all. I think its also been over a year
since the last update. Are there other MathPlayer alternatives to read
MathML accessibly?

2. What's the best way to convert a latex/plane TeX source document into
something easier to read? The source files I receive from my professors
often have lots of formatting verbiage. I've tried Pandoc to convert latex
into HTML with math displayed in LaTeX. This removes a lot of the formatting
spam. However, it doesn't work with TeX documents and it only understands a
limited number of packages. I'm trying to get tex4ht to work; based on my
understanding of how it works, it should work with both plain TeX and LaTeX.
I tried using the package included in MikTX 2.9 but can't figure out how to
make it convert my plain TeX source into html. It was stopping at every
compile error.

3. I've recently stumbled upon something called MaxTract, something that
claims to be able to read a pdf with math and convert it into various
accessible formats like html+MathML and latex. It doesn't seem to be in
active  development though and the online version isn't working for me. Has
anyone tried this?