[Blindmath] Accessibility for being a blind math instructor

John Gardner john.gardner at viewplus.com
Fri Jul 17 15:17:00 UTC 2015

Lloyd is right David, I am writing to tell you about the LEANMath editor.  It was originally put into beta test a couple of years ago, but I decided it had to be re-written.  (I do not claim to be a competent software person, and the old version was poorly designed) The new version is finished and is being readied for another and hopefully final beta test.  LEAN will be given free to blind individuals. The current version requires a reasonably modern version of MS Word and the MathType math editor. LEAN is essentially an accessible interface to MathType.  A conference paper on LEAN can be found at:
http://www.access2science.com/mathml/The%20LEAN%20Math%20Accessible%20MathML%20Editor.htm

LEAN can be used to read math in MS Word, but there are now several other good ways to read math in Word.  The only other way a blind person can author math in Word is to input Latex equations to MathType.  This is possible, but Latex is pretty verbose and clumsy.  Not many people could have the patience to do algebra homework this way.  LEAN was designed to do algebra homework as well as just write math.  If you or anybody else on this list wants to be a beta tester, just write me.  Anybody who is already on my beta list will soon be getting a letter from me asking if they wish to participate in the new round. There is a tutorial for LEAN, and it also  has a great deal of help documentation accessible inside the editor. I hope these materials will make the learning curve easy to climb. Although LEAN is powerful enough to compose anything that MathML permits, I believe it should also be fairly easy to learn and use.

I mentioned that there are ways to read math in MS Word+MathType.  You can get a 30 day free trial version of MathType from www.dessci.com and try it yourself on some of the sample equations at that site.  You will need to install the free Design Science MathPlayer application and use the most recent version of either NVDA or Window-eyes.  NVDA is free and works extremely well in my opinion. MathPlayer allows one to read MathType equations and to browse them but not write math. LEAN solves that problem.