[Blindmath] braille code changes and nemeth

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 21 20:26:51 UTC 2015

I agree that the elimination in UEB of the dots 3,4,5,6 contraction for
"ble" in the middle of a word was a positive change even though a human
reader could typically resolve any ambiguities with the possible exceptions
of a few words such as bumblebee. On the other hand, I find it a bit
difficult that the UEB numeric indicator (number sign) not only sets numeric
mode but sets also a special Grade 1 mode which can only be terminated
before the end of a word by a hyphen or a dash.  This latter setting means
that contractions cannot be used after a number when the Grade 1 mode hasn't
been so terminated. For example the current American literary code allows
for certain ordinal numbers, such as the one for first, to be written as a
digit followed by a contraction but this is not allowed in UEB.

The new UEB setting does have the advantage that it's no longer necessary to
insert a letter sign to avoid confusion with a shortform as would occur, for
example, in a website named go4brl. However this setting also means that UEB
does not allow the use of contractions after the embedded digit in a company
name such as Houses4rent.

My basic point is that as is typically the case you don't get something for
nothing.

SusanJ