[Blindmath] braille code changes and nemeth

Jorge A. Paez jorgeapaez1994 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 22:33:46 UTC 2015

First: I will say that the stress level and challenge of learning
braille will be more than it used to be, partly because I think any
press that will change to UEB will do so before the TVIs get a chance
to learn it, and partly because it looks a lot more challenging then
the original braille does.
More generally, what do changes to print have to do with us?
You also speak of less relevance?
I don't see Braille, even in its current form becoming less relevant.
True, there are more people using audio and such, I have met several
people who do not know braille at all but that is not because of
anything to do with relevance as much as it is to do with lack of
opportunity.
Lastly, you speak of moving forward. With all due respect, I don't
understand what updating Braille, if you can even call it an update of
sorts, has to do with moving forward?
Oh, and I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to learn a code that is
a lot more complicated then the code that was being taught a couple of
years ago, sure, why not complicate things just a little more?
And while I'm on that, I can't speak for all but I know a handful of
us who grew up with the traditional system won't care much for
learning the new UEB code, and I'm pretty sure I'm right when I say
transcribers who are well established, both self-employed and the
larger transcription companies won't particularly care to learn UEB
much either.

Jorge