[Blindmath] Making the University classroom more accessible

vincent martin vincent.martin at gatech.edu
Thu Nov 5 16:37:52 UTC 2015

Hello,
I am a totally blind Ph.D. student in Human Centered Computing at Georgia Tech.  I have previously earned four STEM degrees.  I have worked as a rehabilitation engineer and research scientist and have advise a number of undergraduate and graduate level teams on similar projects.  The first thing I always advise the teams to do is a very thoroughly literature review.  As a graduate student doing research, it would be the first thing you would normally consider, but most undergraduates have never been taught how or why to do it.
What you are asking in your survey is far too wide of a scope to assist you.  You can end up going in so many directions and may end up recreating the exact thing that someone just did a few months ago.  You can search the Journal of the Visually Impaired and the Blind, ACM's SIG Access (ASSETS) and the SIGCHI (CHI) journals for a vast number of projects related to creating access for people with visual disabilities.
You can also just use any search engine for search words pertaining to this topic and the browser will give you many directions to go int.  So many products/projects end up on some news program, but really are just class projects created for a class for too many times to count.