[Blindmath] PDF to xhtml

Abi James abi at assistivelearning.co.uk
Wed Nov 25 12:14:25 UTC 2015

There is a prototype tool for converting PDF to LaTeX developed at the
University of Birmingham but it will only work on PDFs created using certain
fonts http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/groupings/reasoning/sdag/submit.php.

As suggested getting hold of the LaTeX source files is much better as PDFs a
generally difficult to extract back to an accessible format. If you do try
to use a convertor of PDF  to html check how they deal with the equations.
If the math is converted to MathML or LaTeX it will be editable and probably
accessible (depending on  the browser and A.T. you are using) but many
convertors default to image output for equations.

Regards

Abi

Abi James
Assistive Technology & Accessibility Consultant
Assistive Learning Ltd

WAIS, ECS , University of Southampton
http://access.ecs.soton.ac.uk