[Blindmath] how did your TVIs assist you?

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Nov 30 17:53:14 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'd like all professionals in the business of helping students ask their former students what things they actively did that left them unprepared for university. This is not really covered by the questions posed in Maureen's message.

All too often I am observing 18-20 year old blind people lack independence and confidence and therefore struggle at university. The support mechanisms they had on hand during high school are no longer there; the disability support systems are not ready to help them; and the educators they must work with have even less idea. The issues are even further compounded in the STEM fields where so many additional skills are needed.

In particular, I'd like to have seen more of the students I've come across gain experience preparing their own homework during high school so that they have experience before they get to university where there are so many other new things to have to deal with.

University ought to be enjoyable and not be like standing on a beach watching a tidal wave coming, especially for those that can't see it.

Jonathan