[Blindmath] how did your TVIs assist you?

vincent martin vincent.martin at gatech.edu
Mon Nov 30 20:03:13 UTC 2015

Amanda,
I will get back to the TVI topic, but wanted to lend you an arm of support!
The way you expressed yourself is the way in which so many blind students
feel each and every quarter/semester.  Don't let your bad experiences stop
you from going further if you so desire.  I am sure we can find a graduate
program at a school that would gladly have and accommodate you!  If a school
starts to accommodate students and gets ones that are successful, then they
start expecting them to show up.  That has started to occur at North
Carolina State where they have had two blind Ph.D. students in Computer
Science recently.  Maybe we can start a list/database of schools that have
done a good job of making STEM related curriculum accessible.  That would be
a great benefit to students considering which schools to attend in the
future.

I am the first totally blind student in the history of Georgia Tech.
Although things were terrible when I got here as far as accessibility is
concerned, I have done whatever I can to open the doors to the ones that
follow me.  That included filing complaints with the Department of
Education.  Things got much better once the Feds showed up!  We even have a
new disability access policy that has been publically circulated for open
comment before it becomes standard institute policy.  Last year I
encountered a visually impaired student at the Empowering Blind students in
STEM workshop sponsored by DO-IT at the University of Washington.  He was
interested in the Ph.D. program in Biomedical Engineering here.  He was
accepted and enrolled this Fall and all of his documents are accessible!

We now have a professional on campus who is responsible for making sure our
documents are converted into the format we need in a timely manner.  PDF
documents can be converted with OCR software to a readable format either
Word or .PDF  and she will even re-format tables into readable formats.  We
can get descriptions of images and or tactile diagrams created.  Those are
usually outsourced to AMAC Accessible Solutions which is an organization
based on campus that makes content accessible to all colleges and
universities in the state system and has partner institutions all over the
country.  I have seen them get an entire college level Math book transcribed
into Braille in less than a month.  They now also convert documents into
Math ML as well.  I am getting two Statistics books converted right now.

The network of people that you meet can also be of assistance, depending
upon the situation.  I was fortunate that my advisor was an acquaintance of
mine before I applied.  His lab does research into assistive technology and
the other students in the lab just help me because it is the right thing to
do.  One of them is the person that created the descriptions for Zack at
Mississippi state a few weeks ago.  The others love to have me in a class
with them as they know that the PDF documents for studying will now be
readable!  Sighted students get crappy stuff (bad scan of a bad copy) and
many now use the text to speech engine in Acrobat Reader to read their
materials. .   My fellow lab mates also created the first totally accessible
fantasy football league just so I could play with them.  After using up the
ESPN seed grant, they did it as a side project and did anything to make it
relevant to our research goals.  We have had one publication, one CSUN
presentation, and two more current journal submissions concerning the data
collected from our projects and studies.  These are the same people that
know to ask me if I have a text copy of any book that they are using for
research.  They know that many hundred page printed book on their desk is
not nearly as useful as the electronic one I have.  Sometimes, we have the
print book on the table next to a computer with the electronic one when we
are writing papers and citing our references.

It is a constant fight for most of us, but there Aare some schools that do
such a great job that is actually surprising.  I had a former student just
graduate from the M.B.A. program at Drexel as an almost totally blind
student and the school went out of their way to accommodate her.  They even
ended up contracting with a second company to insure her Statistics and
Economics books were accessible to her.  She got accessible .PDF's and
tactile maps and graduated on time.  She had completed a degree in
Electrical Engineering when she was sighted, but she says that the
accommodations at Drexel, especially from her professors, is what made her
graduate program enjoyable.

I spoke with a very low-vision TVI friend of mine yesterday that wishes she
had a student that was STEM interested or was at the level that she had to
provide some of the things we have been discussing.  She moves between six
middle and high schools in our county and does not have any of her students
who have gotten past pre-Calculus.  The higher functioning ones are usually
low-vision and the rest stop at basic high school Math and Science.

On the other hand, I have another TVI in a county North of Atlanta that has
assisted in making every STEM related course in high school accessible.  She
has seen students go on to the University of Georgia in Genetics and to
Duke, Emory, and Wake Forrest in other STEM related fields.