[Blindmath] MS Word, MathType, and HTML

steve.noble at louisville.edu steve.noble at louisville.edu
Wed Oct 7 22:47:40 UTC 2015

It is possible to do this, but there are a number of issues involved which make hitting the right combination not so easy to discover. Here's what you'll have to do:
1) Using your Word document containing MathType equations, use the "Publish to MathPage" option in the MathType menu, and select the "MathML using...HTML+MathJax" setting.
2) After you have exported the new web page, you will need to open it in Firefox and navigate to a math expression. While the cursor is on the expression, you will need to do a right-click, which brings up the MathJax context menu. From that menu, you will need to select "Math Settings > Math Renderer > MathML." Once you have done this one time, it will be remembered until someone changes it again.
3) Now when you read the new web page with NVDA, you should be able to hear the math and navigate just like you can in Word.

Hope that helps,

--Steve Noble
steve.noble at louisville.edu
502-969-3088