[Blindmath] Data on braille vs. speech use

Frankel, Lois E lfrankel at ETS.ORG
Sat Apr 16 00:25:15 UTC 2016

I'm reading this thread late in the game, but I am the PI of the studies mentioned. The paper referenced is in the copy-editing/publications pipeline, which can be a bit slower than we'd like, so it will probably be more than a month or two. The very first of our research reports, which describes our initial development of the speech style, should be available quite soon, with two others, including the final study under discussion now, coming later. Do check the ETS Research Reports sit. I'll also try to post here when the papers are available.

My recollection is that the audio typically (but not always) did take longer than braille or large print, but otherwise Neil's and Steve's descriptions of our findings are right on.

From: Blindmath [mailto:blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Neil Soiffer via Blindmath
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2016 7:52 PM
To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics
Cc: Neil Soiffer
Subject: Re: [Blindmath] Data on braille vs. speech use

We (ETS & Design Science) conducted a study as part of a IES grant. The
study compared MathPlayer's speech/navigation using a Word document
(NVDA+MathPlayer+MathType) against braille and large print for blind and
low vision students taking algebra 1 thru pre-calc classes. The results
were that there were no significant differences in comprehension rates
although students preferred their standard method of access. The lack of
difference held across students and across preferred formats. There was no
significant difference in the time they took to solve the problems either.

Caveat: the study was small (21 students) by normal standards, but moderate
by the standards of studies involving students with vision disabilities.

My paper talking about this was accepted at ICCHP for this summer. ETS will
publish a detailed report on the study in their ETS Research Report Series
<https://www.ets.org/research/policy_research_reports/ets> in a month or
two.

Note: I don't think this has to be an either/or issue. NVDA+MathPlayer
supports refreshable braille devices along with magnification. Some other
systems support both also. Of course, that's not the same as embossed
braille, but it is cheaper and more immediate.

Neil Soiffer

Thank you for your compliance.