[Blindmath] Ways to create math solutions for sighted instructors

Joshua Hori jhori at ucdavis.edu
Thu Aug 18 00:03:32 UTC 2016

Hello!

I've got a chapter to share! Bare with me, this is a long one...

You can try Pearson's Accessible Equation Editor: http://accessibility.pearson.com/mathex-app/
- It's web based and works with NVDA and/or a braillenote. Instructors can interact with visually disabled students studying math. NVDA sometimes needs to be restarted if it becomes unresponsive. Oh, who am I kidding, it needs to be restarted often. The engineer at Pearson is working with a blind student to ensure the math equations are correct.

There's the MathML cloud tool: https://www.mathmlcloud.org/#/how-to-use-this-tool
- This tool will convert single math equations written in LaTeX, ASCII, or MathML and convert them into other accessible formats. The link I've provided takes you to the "How to use this tool" page for those of you wanting to sign up with a developer account (look for the "register" link) to get access to their API and convert large numbers of files all at once.

There's also WAVES, called JSWAVES, for math input and output available on GitHub (A collaboration with gh and the DIAGRAM center): https://github.com/gh-accessibility/WAVES-Token-Toolbar
- I haven't tried this one as of yet so I can't comment on its use, but I trust the groups who put it together. In fact, gh was the company who distributes MathHear...so there's that. Maybe it's time for me to try it out...

If you need additional information on math and screenreader support, try the Math Support Finder: http://msf.mathmlcloud.org/
- enter in your preferred screenreader in the dropdown menu and the tool will provide you with formats available to be used with the tool and what plugins are needed.

For online Learning Management Systems, or for an alternative to typing math equations within a web browser, then you may want to consider wiris: http://www.wiris.com/editor/demo/en/
- It can be a little complicated to navigate, but there is a "MathML and LaTeX" link as well as an "Accessibility" link. The MathML and LaTeX link allows users to enter math with an accessible, but complex, onscreen math keyboard. Or users can enter their math in MathML or LaTeX and have it displayed graphically. To access the editor after accessing the MathML and LaTeX link, look for the form fields "Unlabeled3 Edit" for MathML and "Unlabeled4 Edit" for LaTeX. All the rest of the buttons are tagged correctly. The accessibility link provides alt text for the math equation entered which could be used with an image. The 2 drawbacks to wiris are that it likes to place \textstyle and \displaystyle to alter how some of the math symbols are displayed and the second issue is that it will auto terminate subscripts within a fraction while other automated converters require you to surround the sub/super scripts within curly brackets.

Lastly, MathJax may be of interest. You can create a document and save into HTML using the math code of your choice. Then edit the HTML document in notepad and enter one line of javascript code within the header tag to convert your LaTeX, TeX, MathML, or asciimath into an accessible math equation read aloud by screenreaders. Windows users may need to install mathplayer, and alter their browsers math renderer settings to MathML (default is HTML Common), but it allows you to navigate through the equation instead of listening to the whole thing in one go. It just works on OSX devices using voiceover, and it plays well on iOS devices, but the page can't be local and must be hosted on a server (unless someone has some tips on accessing local HTML files within a mobile browser). Try it out at https://www.mathjax.org.

The great thing about MathJax is that you can wrap your displayed math equations with 2 dollar signs at both ends of the equation, or instead using \[ and \] if the dollar signs are a bother, AND wrapping in-line math with \( and \) for the conversions to work properly. This also works in Google Docs using an automated LaTeX converter plug-in, but it converts all the equations into images instead of accessible math. But unlike other tools, it will convert all equations within a document all at once and not one at a time.

JAVASCRIPT CODE:
<script type="text/javascript" async
  src="https://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-MML-AM_CHTML">
</script>

Please note that this renders ALL math. There are other MathJax converters which cater to one type of math code to make it more reliable. You can find out more about MathJax settings here: http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/start.html

I find that I had the best experiences were using NVDA and Firefox on PC, Safari and VoiceOver on Mac and iPhone.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Joshua Hori
Accessible Technology Analyst