[Blindmath] Any Statistical Software Accessible With JAWS?

Joshua Hori jhori at ucdavis.edu
Thu Aug 25 16:48:19 UTC 2016

Hello Kathy,

Do you have more information on how to use it with a screenreader? I can't seem to access the keyboard for the graphing tool (which is a pop up window). It's a little funny in that it accepts latex for some characters and not for others. For instance, I attempted to type out \frac12 for a fraction, but it immediately placed the 12 in subscript, but didn't inform me of that via screenreader. When I typed out 1/2, it came out fine. I can type out alpha and it produces an alpha, but doesn't produce micro unit, delta, sigma, omega, epsilion, or other greek characters. I was able to produce a sum, but trying to enter values into the sum was difficult in that JAWS would sometimes read areas and not others...Maybe I need to test with NVDA instead?

Even when I was able to enter x and y values, I couldn't read the graph with the screenreader. Is there a keyboard shortcut for this?

There is another online calculator which your students may be amazed by. Try out MyScript: http://webdemo.myscript.com/views/math.html (not accessible to screenreaders). Your students will be able to handwrite their equations into the webpage and if there's a graph available for the equation, it links into desmos.com in order to produce a visual graph. It used to link the MathJax file from Wolfram Alpha, but it seems that collaboration has stopped as it's no longer available, and I can't access the math equation like I used to. It also lists the LaTeX and MathML of the math equation to help your students understand how to write it in an electronic format. I write math in LaTeX, save as HTML, and use MathJax to display the math to screenreaders.

Mentioning Wolfram...They have a new product called Mathematica which is being used now in higher ed. I haven't used it, but I understand they have a blind user who is using it in command line mode. We may have to add this to Jonathan's list of resources as it does deal with stats.

Sincerely,

Joshua Hori