[Blindmath] typesetting Matrix

George Bell george at techno-vision.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 11:17:31 UTC 2016

Hi Nirmal,

I assume you are sighted as you want to typeset.

In MathType, start a new row, type 5678 and press enter for a new line. (We will come back to this line later)

Begin your equation R=

Now go to the "Matrix templates" selection box (2nd row at top, and second from right|), and select the three vertical boxes in the middle of the second row.

Ensure your cursor is at the end of what you have so far, and go to the "Fence templates" - second top row left.  Select the very first one with the round brackets.

Now go back to your Matrix templates box and select the matrix with three rows and three columns.

Click within the new matrix such that the cursor is on one of the empty boxes. Go to the Format menu and select "Matrix" where you will be able to add a column to the right.

At this stage, I would advise you to enter the values into the equation so far, since this may very slightly change the spacing.

Finally, make sure that you have the ruler visible - View: Ruler.

You should see five vertical pointing arrow icons which are for setting tabs.

Click and hold down the mouse on the left hand one, which at the bottom of the arrow shaft is a horizon line to the right.

Drag this down to the ruler and should see a vertical line appear.  Line that up with the left hand side of the first column of the bracketed matrix and release the mouse.

Ensure cursor is at the left of the 5678 and press Alt + Tab.  The number group should move accordingly.

Now repeat the above for the second "tab" and align to the 2nd bracketed matrix column.

Place cursor between the 5 and 6 and Alt + Tab again.

Repeat until you have all four numbers aligned.

I don't know where you are based - we are in the UK.  If time zones allow, we could Skype if you still need help.

George