[Blindmath] Is the Nemeth Code also going to be discontinued with the introduction of the UEB?

White, Jason J jjwhite at ets.org
Mon Mar 14 20:26:43 UTC 2016

Very little of it is part of UEB. The UEB designers borrowed some concepts from Nemeth code, e.g., fraction indicators, and possibly some symbols (I haven't checked the list). However, UEB does not adopt significant portions of Nemeth code.

>Is the Nemeth Code no longer in vogue for the kind of applications it was
>originally designed for?

It still appears to be popular among mathematically literatre braille readers, especially in North America.

>Which code has been adopted in the UEB for brailling of mathematics and
>science?

The purpose of UEB was to create a single, unambiguous code for text as well as mathematics, computer programming, etc. UEB defines its own mathematics code.

>Or, is it the Nemeth Code that still handles mathematics and science braille in
>the UEB?

No (see above).

>In short, what is the future of the Nemeth Code with the adoption of the
>UEB?

This is a question that does not have a simple answer. From my perspective, unless you work for an organization that produces braille and which is required to follow your country's braille standards, you have great flexibility in deciding what braille code to use. There is more braille available to anyone with a Web browser and a braille display than has ever been or will ever be in the hands of a braille transcriber. In this situation, the braille codes that matter are those which you choose to learn and which are supported by your braille translation software.

Nemeth code will continue to be important for as long as there are people who choose to use it.

Thank you for your compliance.