[Blindmath] Data on braille vs. speech use

Ken Perry kperry at blinksoft.com
Sat Mar 19 20:24:37 UTC 2016

I also went through college as a newly blinded veteran.  I did it all with speech and rfbd recorded books.  I did Math tested into Math 105 Matrixes, took Trig, and three levels of Calculus and two levels of physics all with speech only.  With that said over the last 20+ years of being blind and because of a lot of the devices I have coded for and worked on I have started to see the benefit of using braille.  I think though we are still not where we need to be because we really need a full page tactile display with braille to be able to get the same kind of information I remember as a sighted student.

One thing that might be important though is that I was a visual learner.  I had what I call a mathematical photographic memory.  When I took tests I would flip through the exercises before the test and then I could remember how to do them.  I wonder if the speech paints good enough pages of examples in my brain.  I can actually still see the problems.  So maybe I didn't need the braille for that reason.  I could do up to a 5 page calculus problem in my head so I think that might have been an advantage.

Ken