[Blindmath] Is a Diploma in IT accessible enough for a blind student?

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 31 14:29:36 UTC 2016

To answer your question directly, yes, it certainly is possible for
blind students to complete IT courses.  In fact, in the United States,
most blind IT students attend regular universities or tech schools and
take the same classes as sighted students. Most states that once had
specialized IT programs for blind students have phased them out. But
that's in the United States. Conditions in Pakistan might dictate a
different strategy for you.

In the United States, colleges, universities, and tech schools that
receive funding from the federal government (which is almost all of
them) are required to make all instructional material accessible to
blind students. I work for the University of Wisconsin and we have an
entire department dedicated to making sure disabled students have equal
access to all instructional materials. That is a much better approach
but it took many years to get to that point.

The main problem with the specialized programs, besides being expensive,
was that they weren't as rigorous as the mainstream programs. It was
difficult for a small program for blind students to provide instruction
that was ut to the standards set at most colleges and tech schools. So
besides spending a lot of money per student, they weren't getting
training as good as they could get at a regular school. I attended the
program for blind students here in Wisconsin after I got my degree from
the University of Wisconsin and I found the specialized program trivial.
One of the instructors said I should be teaching the course, not taking it.

Well, I've digressed a bit. However, I think all this is relevant to
your original question as to whether blind students can complete IT
classes. You might consider joining the email lists for blind IT
professionals. Two that I subscribe to are talk at iavit.org and
blind-sysadmins at lists.hodgsonfamily.org. Both of those lists have
subscribers from around the world.

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org