[Blindmath] Statistics help

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Sep 21 02:43:59 UTC 2016

Two questions.

Neither uses the empirical rules; both use the standard normal tables.

P(116<X<120)
=P(X<120)-P(X<116)
=P(Z<(116-118.5)/1.2) - P(Z<(120-118.5)/1.2)
Sorry, no tables in this office. R used instead.
pnorm(120, 118.5, 1.2)
## [1] 0.8943502
pnorm(116,118.5,1.2)
## [1] 0.01861043
pnorm(120, 118.5, 1.2) - pnorm(116,118.5,1.2)
## [1] 0.8757398

The second question is worded in a very horrible way. For the purposes of this calculation, the mean and the point of interest are reversed, that is, assume the mean is 115 (temporarily) and look for the point that would have the requisite 12.1% above it.
Again, I used R:
qnorm(0.121, 115, 1.2, lower.tail=FALSE)
## [1] 116.40

I think the first question is fairly standard intro content, but the second is assuming a bit more knowledge of the ability to invert the problem and I wouldn't consider it reasonable to use in a test or exam.

Jonathan