[Blindmath] Statistics help

derek riemer Derek.Riemer at Colorado.EDU
Wed Sep 21 04:05:57 UTC 2016

Ask your professor that you can't use a table for this kind of work
because you are blind, and getting the table converted is more work than
it's worth, given you'll never use the tables in industry. A completely
reasonable accommodation is to be allowed to use the pnorm, qnorm, and
dnorm functions instead (I can't remember if pnorm is pdf or cdf).
Anyhow, my professor did this for me last year, because she realized I
wasn't likely to get much out of her class with being forced to ask for
sighted help.

On 9/20/2016 7:07 PM, Sabra Ewing via Blindmath wrote:
> I need help with this statistics problem because I don't have access to many of the formulas  in my class. I tried to work with a group, but they haven't been very nice. They have just said that we went over it in class, when I can't understand what my professor writes on the board, and have received very little material in an accessible format. Anyways, here's the problem.
>
> A large number of voltages show a mean of 118.5V and a population standard deviation of 1.20V. Determine the percentage of data that falls between 116 and 120 Volts. If it is desired to have 12.1% of the voltage below 115V, how should the mean voltage be adjusted? The dispersion is σ = 1.20 V.
>
> I know it has something to do with the empirical rule, but I don't know what to do because it doesn't fall an even number of standard deviations from the mean. For the second part of the problem, I have no idea what to do.
>

> Sabra Ewing

    Derek Riemer

  * Department of computer science, third year undergraduate student.
  * Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
  * Open source enthusiast.
  * Member of Bridge Cu
  * Avid skiier.