[BlindMath] MathML editor and MathML to LaTeX converter

Dániel Hajas d.hajas.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 07:35:48 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I’d like to ask for some insights with regards to the following two themes. Any experiences would be appreciated.

1. A MathML editor

I’m looking for a text editor, where I could create MathML using code snippets, and not manually write presentational MathML. Something that has a drop down menu with a list of items such as, superscript, subscript, fraction, root, operators, etc, which inserts the opening and closing tags. I use and came across similar editors for html elements like title, headings, links, list items, tables etc, as well as LaTeX environments, but so far I haven’t found a decent one for MathML.

One potentially good looking software is the WIRIS, www.wiris.com. They seem to be considering accessibility, but the website states that the way it outputs equations is in image format, and inserts alt tags as well as aria labels. Has anybody tried this? Experiences?

2. MathML to LaTeX converter.

After all, I managed to get LaTeXML working and it’s a great tool. However, as part of a software development project, we also need to include and build in an open source MathML to LaTeX converter. Has anybody got any good recommendations for this? I found some online tools, but we can’t use that. In terms of open source, the following git hub project looks promising. Has anyone used it? Experiences? Suggestions for alternatives?
https://github.com/transpect/mml2tex <https://github.com/transpect/mml2tex>

Thanks,
Daniel