[BlindMath] Scanning braille for sight reading

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 3 21:51:25 UTC 2017

I ended up changing my flatbed scanner settings to 900 dots per inch,
gray scale. I think line art (black/white) would have worked too but my
sighted helper said the gray scale looked a little better. But I think
the main problem I had submitting the assignments as scans was that I
sent them in tif format. I think the real resolution of the problem came
when I converted my scans from tif to jpg.

But the good news is that scanning a page of braille really works. The
sighted person I had looking at the scans never said she couldn't see
the dots no matter what the flatbed scanner settings were. She said some
images were more pleasant to look at but she was quite clear that she
could easily make out the dots no matter what.

At 900 dpi gray scale images converted to jpg,each scan was 11Mb. I
haven't tried it yet but a 300 dpi line art jpg would probably be only a
megabyte or 2.