[Blindmath] math type accessibility with jaws screen reader,

Louis Maher ljmaher at swbell.net
Sat Feb 25 01:05:29 UTC 2017

Hello Tolga,

If you are willing to learn LaTex, MathType is accessible for the blind with
JAWS.  Here is a message I received from Neil Soiffer (I do not have a
current e-mail address for Neil).  Note that while he talks about NVDA,
MathTypes works well in JAWS.

I do not think you need MathPlayer in JAWS.
-----
"You can use Word+NVDA+MathPlayer+MathType to author and read math if you
are willing to learn the math component of LaTeX. If you already have a
document with math in it, then the above combination will work for *reading
*and navigating the math by speech. If you want to author math, then in Word
you can type in some LaTeX between $ $ and use MathType to convert that into
MathType math (so it looks nice), which can then be spoken and navigated.
Given that it is easy to make a mistake in LaTeX, hearing the math gives you
a way to know that you have typed it correctly. If you didn't, then you
convert it back into LaTeX and edit it and listen again.

FYI: changing between LaTeX and vice-versa is done with ""Toggle TeX"" which
has the keyboard shortcut alt+\. As the name ""Toggle"" implies, alt+\ will
also change the MathType equation back to TeX.

Here is a concrete example, if you want to write ""the integral from 0 to 10
of x times e to the negative 2x power, d x"", you would type into Word:
$\int_0^{10} x e^{-2 x} dx$ alt+\

Press left arrow to move before the math to make NVDA read the math to you.
If you made a mistake, type alt+\ and move right to edit the LaTeX.

FYI: when I initially typed the example, I made a common TeX error of not
putting the ""10"" inside of {}s. Be careful to add braces to any subscript
or superscript that is more than one character.

Neil Soiffer
Use insert equations to start entering an equation.

-----

If you are on the image of an equation, you type alt+backslash and the
equation will be converted to LaTex, and you can read and change it.

I have attached an example file to try this.

I am just beginning to learn this.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838