[Blindmath] Equalizing the Blackboard

Zach zm290 at msstate.edu
Tue Jan 17 16:13:11 UTC 2017

Hello all,

What can I do to help equalize learning statistics during lectures? I really
enjoyed reading Godfrey et al., (2015)'s recommendations to professors on
how to teach students with blindness statistics, and how to explain
equations as well as graphics, but at a University where the capabilities of
the faculty is somewhat questionable, at least in certain departments, what
is the best solution? I have some residual eye sight that allows me to use
screen magnification cameras, but I fatigue quickly and haven't been the
most successful. I see getting a visual assistant to aid me in reviewing the
lectures, which are written on the chalk board as the most viable solution,
but my University and disabilities office claim that any assistance strictly
outside the hours of class meeting times falls under a personal thing and
not an accommodation.

Regards,

Zac

Zachary Mason