[BlindMath] UEB Math History/Methodology

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 17:39:02 UTC 2017

Hi all,
I'd like to better understand the thinking behind UEB math. While Nemeth
isn't perfect, UEB math seems more cumbersome and convoluted. Please correct
me if I'm out of line here.

Canada has done a full change to UEB, including mathematics. Therefore I'll
have to work with it at some point. I'm concerned though that it's a step
backwards towards the inclusion of blind students and professionals in STEM.
Again, I am willing to be wrong here.

My question is this: what are the benefits of UEB math? Who created it? Were
they mathematicians/familiar with math? Is the move away from Nemeth
something to be celebrated? Where does it leave Braille-to-print
translation, which was imperfect for Nemeth as it was, but at least it
existed? Does such Braille-to-print and print-to-Braille translation have a
technological solution for UEB math? I know that LaTeX is really the only
universally usable option for blind creators of STEM stuff, but having a
Braille option would also be ideal.

Thank you very much for your insight. All the best to everyone attending
Convention this year. I was hoping this would be my first, but summer school
got in the way...

Thanks again,
Sarah

I hope this makes