[BlindMath] Seeking Resources to Self-Study Math for Programming

Bill Dengler codeofdusk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 20:17:48 UTC 2017

I just completed a course in calculus along with the International Baccalaureate mathematics standard level course. Like you, I hope to study computer science, and I was self-taught (for my programming and CS theory but not math). I’m still in high school, but I hope to study computing at university. I also don’t use Braille (my experiences in the past with Braille math led me to find it slow and inefficient) but as a thread I started on this list a year or so ago points out, learning some of that code might be a good idea.

Right now, I use LaTeX extensively for writing math. It is plain text, making it readable with screen readers. It can also be compiled into a format for display to teachers or other sighted people reviewing your work. If you’re doing anything beyond Algebra II, I would argue that LaTeX is essential. Additionally, if you need to communicate/send your work to sighted people, LaTeX is essential. Yes, before Pre-Calc I used a sort of “calculator notation” for writing my work (typing it as it would appear on a scientific calculator), but this system is both hard to read for sighted people and potentially leads to ambiguities (does sqrt(3)x/3 mean the entire quantity is divided by 3 or just the x?)

For self-study of mathematics, Wikipedia’s articles are accessible. While Wikipedia itself doesn’t exactly provide a math course, it is a useful reference. The site can be set to present math content in either MathML (readable by many screen readers) or LaTeX source. To change your preference, you’ll need to create an account (there’s a CAPTCHA, but I know a blind Wikipedia admin so if you need help creating an account let me know off list). Then go to http://enwp.org/special:preferences and on the appearance tab, you can change your display preference. While there, you might also want to change your skin to monobook for better accessibility.

For self-study of computer science, a good starting point is http://greenteapress.com which provides books in accessible HTML and LaTeX. If you go through Think Python, note that the turtle world chapter generates inaccessible output, and the appendix on GUI programming uses tkinter which is inaccessible to screen readers.

Feel free too contact me if you have any questions.

Bill

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/ljmaher%40swbel

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/dennis%40dgclar