[BlindMath] Getting a Text Book

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at mail.utoronto.ca
Sat Mar 11 18:21:36 UTC 2017

Hi there,
I'm sorry if this is coming too late, but here's what I've used successfully when writing to textbook authors. This is a last resort for me but I think you're at the stage where it is your last resort as well. Often the ultimate request will have to come between the publisher and the school (they don't like to release this type of thing to anyone), but I've found the author's usually the most direct person to start with. CC any relevant people, as indicated in my template, just to maintain transparency and let all the right people know who can help later in the process.

" Dear [textbook author],
My name is [name], and I am a current [school name] economics student. I also happen to  be blind. This term I am studying [subject area] and we have been assigned your text [Name of Text]. I have purchased a hard copy of the text, but am in search of an electronic copy I can read. Any available electronic copy is in pdf format, which is not accessible to either Braille output or text-to-speech technology. Do you have a source version in either LaTeX or Microsoft Word (using Equation Editor or Math Type) that you Would be willing to send to me?

For your reference, I have copied my course instructor on this email, as well as the office tasked with providing students with alternate formats at the [university name].

Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,
[name]