[BlindMath] converting a math textbook from LaTeX to MathML

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Mar 26 05:04:03 UTC 2017

Hello Tara,

I use tex4ht which is part of the standard miktex installation.

The main project I use this for is my e-book on how to use R, called "Let's Use R Now" or LURN for short. Find it at:
https://r-resources.massey.ac.nz/LURN/front.html

and see how it is all implemented in batch files at the GitHub page:
https://github.com/ajrgodfrey/LetsUseRNow

I had only one problem with the way tex4ht implemented all my work, including all those things that break other converters, like my personalised commands and shortcuts as well as a few strange LaTeX packages. I solved this problem over the last few days so now I feel the solution is complete. Mathematical equations are all converted to MathJax or MathML and work well with JAWS and NVDA screen readers. Graphics do need alt tags added manually as the author is unlikely to have implemented them in such a way that will help your blind reader. I'm now doing that within my source files; I suspect you might end up having to edit the HTML files you generate.

Cheers,
Jonathan