[BlindMath] [Blindmath] NFB stem convention.

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Mar 29 00:54:12 UTC 2017

Yes Daniel, I did know it was you I met but I try not to broadcast people's movements that might not be public information on public lists.

I wonder if you over-estimate the pool of resource that might help STEM students with the latest tools that will make a difference. I'm involved with the planning of the event at the NFB Convention and would point out to you that this comes at practically no cost to the attendees except that they must travel and have accommodation. It does come at a cost though, probably in the order of USD3000 for me alone.

I have to say that were I  a student who is seriously interested in having a career in STEM today,  I would have paid to attend the Summer University events in full, and coming from my corner of the world that's a hefty investment. I'd love to find more "experts" closer than a 12 hour flight but there are none. In addition, coming to a single event in life is not a good recipe for success in my opinion; everyone else in the workplace must have ongoing training and perhaps as blind people we ought to be ready to invest more than our sighted peers. I consider that to be a reality and fortunately, so does my boss.

I do wish there were more events being held, but you've overlooked the fact that these events do not plan themselves and that the cost of the people providing workshops is far from trivial. On top of that, keeping up with the latest tools that can make a real difference and are proven successful for a broad range of people is also time-consuming. The STEM students of today do not need to be introduced to half-baked solutions that end up costing them time and energy. Unfortunately, there are numerous examples of people that do not look for the right assistance, or choose to ignore the good advice that is on offer. Remember the old saying that anyone who is not willing to learn from history's mistakes is destined to repeat them. <sigh>

I do look forward to your attendance this July in the Netherlands. Perhaps you will be sufficiently inspired to run a similar event in the UK sometime.

Jonathan