[BlindMath] 3 Dimensional Graphs

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:26:16 UTC 2018

Hello,

My masters research proposal will be on cross-sensory representations,
graphs being presented in audio, tactile, and visual modalities.

For our audio representations, we are using a create-react-app with
web-audio-daw to create representations. You don’t need this complex of a
setup if you are just doing it for yourself, but this setup is very fast:

https://github.com/frastlin/Nonvisual-Modeling-and-Mapping

Just remove the directories, other than the components, from the src folder
and change the pages and routes in the app.js file. If you have questions,
email me. You need to understand react to use this, although it is
incredibly fast.

It takes about a day or two to create representations. If you have visual
representations you need made accessible, let me know and we can create
them for you (I can’t promise good quality as we are still in the
experimental phase, but it will be better than nothing).

For tactile representations, we have a graphic designer creating 3D objects
and laser printed materials. We have found that 2D representations are very
difficult to understand and often have too many variables for users to hold
in their head at once. 3D tactile representations are almost 40% more
effective.

I think it is almost impossible for blind people to make the 3D models for
tactile representations currently. I think clay is your best bet for now,
or graph paper with Wikki sticks.

There are companies such as:

https://www.shapeways.com/

and

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/

who do 3D printing for you.

It would be a challenge for us to create a tactile representation and get
it to you, but we would definitely try! Audio representations are easier
for us to do.

We are taking data from visual representations and making them auditory and
tactile, but if you have some data, it would probably be a fun challenge
for our visual representation expert to make a representation.

Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>