[BlindMath] What does the largest one-day drop in market value sound like?

vincentfmartin2020 at gmail.com vincentfmartin2020 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 02:19:25 UTC 2018

Sabra,
What Ed is utilizing is called sonification and it is a true discipline in
itself.  It is a field that is still in its infancy, so there is still no
consensus on how to do many of the things that you are requesting.  I
studied under Dr. Bruce Walker in the sonification lab and earned a couple
of graduate degrees at Georgia Tech in graduate school from 2010 to 2017.
We utilized multi-modal approaches toward research, but mostly the research
was based upon how to represent information in the most efficient and
effective way utilizing sound, whether it is speech or non-speech.
Non-speech audio is what was being utilized to sonify the dataset that Ed
utilized.  SAS basically incorporated the Sonification Sandbox (a tool
developed in Dr. Walker's lab)  into their display engine to create a
phenomenal tool for representing data.  Since it was done, I have used it to
make all my .
Sonification really helps people that can actually see a lot and is very
prevalent in our everyday environment.  There are many instances where the
visual representation of data is entirely too difficult or does not afford a
person the actual information necessary to make adequate analysis.  This is
when sonification really stands out.  You can also spot outliers or other
changes in direction in data much easier with very large datasets.  Another
benefit is the speed that you can analyze data.  I had access to a Tiger
embosser when I worked as a research scientist, but it took a very long time
to get the graphs I needed in the correct format to read.  The cost of the
embosser was also very prohibitive for a single person to own and many
school systems don't even purchase them.
If you are a student, then you can get free access to the student version of
SAS and the graphics accelerator is in it.  As a data scientist, you can do
virtually everything you need with Python and with SAS to also do data
analysis, you could probably work in this arena.
There is also research being done to help with the descriptions of graph as
well.  Sometimes just knowing what the graph looks like, along with the name
can make understanding a sonified graph quite easy.  When you have to use
this to hemp with your interpretation of data, it is almost a necessity to
utilize every tool necessary.
Here are a few links to get you started.  Let me know if there any questions
I can answer for you and there is also another alumni of Dr. Walker's lab
that is on this list that is sighted who has done extensive work trying to
display data with sound
I have added a few links at the end of this message that you can use to get
started.

PS- In seven years of teaching undergraduates in class or conducting
research and over many, many studies, I asked many participants a simple
question when I was explaining what the rationale was for my research was.
I asked them how I determined which elevator to enter when I pressed a
button in a large lobby.  In seven years, no sighted person ever got it
right.  Four times I had people answer that I listened for the sound.  No
one could ever tell me what the sounds were and what they meant.  Once I
told them, I would be routinely stopped on campus by them and told that I
was exactly right about those elevator sounds.  A great audio design does
its purpose and hides in the background.

Sonification
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonification

The sonification Handbook
https://sonification.de/handbook/

International Community for Audio displays
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Community_for_Auditory_Display