[BlindMath] Average Rate of Change problem

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-blindmath at pcdesk.net
Sat Aug 18 19:48:08 UTC 2018

Average rate of change is actually a relatively simple problem. You
compute it as follows.

The fraction with numerator f(x_2) - f(x_1) and denominator x_2 - x_1

IN this case, use 6 for x_2 and 2 for x_1. So do the following.

1. Compute f(6) and f(2).
2. Subtract the results from step 1.
3. Compute 6-2.
4. Divide the result from step 2 by the result from step 3 to get the
average rate of change.

I'm going to give you just a little bit of background because it will
help you later on in Calculous. What you're doing when you compute an
average rate of change is computing average slope of the function at any
point on the graph of that function. (Rate of change and slope are
basically the same thing) Obviously, you know that for a linear function
like "y = 2x + 3", the slope is constant. It doesn't matter where on the
graph you look, the slope will be constant. 2 in this case. Well,
non-linear functions (the one you gave is a quadratic for instance) also
have slope. The difference is that the slope varies depending on the
value of x and y, and hence where you are on the graph. Computing the
average rate of change tells you what the average rate of change and
hence the average slope is given a particular function and and two
boundary points. Notice how the equation for rate of change resembles
the standard "rize over run" equation for slope of a line.

--
Joe